Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

World

Gaza truce shatters as Israel carries out ‘extensive’ strikes and Netanyahu vows to hit Hamas with ‘increasing strength’

Gaza’s fragile ceasefire shattered early Tuesday night as Israel carried out deadly strikes across the enclave and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed to use “increasing military strength” against Hamas.

In a statement, the Israel Defense Forces and Israeli Security Agency said early Tuesday they were “currently conducting extensive strikes” on Hamas targets in Gaza.

“Tonight we returned to fighting in Gaza,” said Defense Minister Israel Katz in a statement.

Hamas official Basem Naim said more than 34 people had been killed by the strikes, and accused Israel of “ending the ceasefire agreement unilaterally.”

In a separate statement, Hamas declared: “Netanyahu and his extremist government have decided to overturn the ceasefire agreement, putting the captives in Gaza at risk of an unknown fate.”

In Gaza City, more than 15 people, including five children, were killed and more than 20 people inured, according to the civil defense’s spokesperson Mahmoud Bassal.

In central Gaza, more than 70 injured people have arrived at the Al-Awda Hospital following strikes on homes in Nuseirat refugee camp, the hospital said.

Netanyahu and Defense Minister Katz ordered the operation, accusing Hamas of “repeatedly” refusing to release hostages and rejecting all offers from United States presidential envoy Steve Witkoff and mediators.

“The IDF is currently attacking targets of the Hamas terrorist organization throughout the Gaza Strip, with the aim of achieving the war goals as determined by the political echelon, including the release of all our hostages — living and dead,” said a statement from the Prime Minister’s Office.

“From now on, Israel will act against Hamas with increasing military strength.”

This is a developing story and will be updated.

This post appeared first on cnn.com

You May Also Like

World

Peruvian President Dina Boluarte has called for general elections to be held on April 12, 2026, saying she hopes the call can “put an...

Science

Consumer rights group Which? is suing Apple for £3bn over the way it deploys the iCloud. If the lawsuit succeeds, around 40 million Apple...

Science

Battle lines have been drawn between the almost 200 countries meeting in Azerbaijan as they seek to agree a new pot of money to...

Science

The Guardian has quit the social media platform X. The news organisation announced its decision on Wednesday to stop posting from official editorial accounts...